¡VIVA Vaquita! is a coalition of like-minded scientists, educators, and conservationists, who would like to increase the attention given to the vaquita, the World’s most endangered marine mammal species. Our goals and mission are to generate awareness of the vaquita and to promote a healthy Upper Gulf of California ecosystem. We conduct research, public awareness and education activities to bring this about. Ultimately, we aim to help save the vaquita from extinction, and to do so in a way that also provides long-term benefits to the fisherman and other residents who live around the Gulf of California, Mexico.
WHAT YOU CAN DO TO HELP
- Tell all your friends and family about the Vaquita
- Support conservation measures and vote for politicians with a good environmental record
- Support the Mexican economy by traveling to Mexico
- Sign our Petition
- Do not buy shrimp or fish caught with gillnets
SA: maybe consider switching to a vegetarian or vegan lifestyle?
- Write your elected officials and tell them to help the Vaquita
- Write letters of support to Mexico’s Ministry of the Environment (SEMARNAT), and tell them to save the vaquita
- Send Vaquita drawings to the United Nations, asking them to support conservation efforts by Mexico
- Donate to the Vaquita Recovery Fund!
- Disappearing Porpoise: Down to 97 and Dropping Fast
- Mexico proposes fishing net ban to save endangered porpoise
- Vaquita Porpoise Faces Imminent Extinction—Can It Be Saved?